If you have gut issues of any kind it can be pretty difficult to know what to eat, well I have your gut covered with this gut healing noodle broth recipe. What is going to exasperate the issue and what is going to help it? When the health of the gut is compromised, food and nutrients is going to be key to healing the issue.
What is gut health?
A persons gut health can be determined by how well a person can digest food and how well they can absorb nutrients from food. A persons gut bacteria and digestive enzymes can play a role in how these functions work. Common gut issues like IBS, IBD, reflux and coeliac disease have been linked to a persons gut microbiome (the different bacterias living in the gut) and also the levels of digestive enzymes produced.
Why improve gut health?
Well if you suffer from any of the conditions above its likely already in your best interest to improve your gut health to rid of uncomfortable and painful symptoms. However if someone is suffering from other niggles like low mood or low energy, it could be worth improving that microbiome. 95% of serotonin (the happy hormone) is made by gut bacteria. Short chain fatty acids are also produced by our gut bacteria and play a role in energy production in the body.
How can food heal the gut?
The bacterias living in the gut which are essential for digestive function and health of the gut lining will adapt to the diet of the individual. A typical western diet high in saturated fat and sugar will alter the microbiome. A more Mediterranean diet full of plant foods and lean protein will feed the good bacteria in the gut, enhancing mood, energy levels and much more. Different foods are also either healing or damaging the the lining of the gut.
Gut Healing Noodle Broth Nutrition
This Gut Healing Noodle Broth recipe uses:
- Bone broth which is high in collagen which acts as an anti-inflammatory as well as reconstructing tissues. It can be quite difficult to find good quality broth in the supermarkets. I order this one online from take stock. Make it vegan with their vegetable broth.
- Rice noodles which are gluten free and easily digested
- Leafy greens are anti-inflammatory and full of essential vitamins and minerals. They are also a prebiotic, feeding the good bacteria in the gut.
- Garlic and ginger are also potent anti-inflammatories as well as being a prebiotic. Although if you are following a low FODMAP diet and you are sensitive to garlic you may want to leave it out.
- Tamari is a wheat free version of soy sauce suitable for anyone with a wheat intolerance.
*I have added a tiny sprinkle of chilli flakes to this gut healing noodle broth recipe but you can absolutely leave it out if no spice is tolerated.
This gut healing noodle broth recipe is vegetarian but you can totally add in some chicken breast or any fish which will also be a great source of protein to aid healing the gut.
You can also check out my gut healing smoothie recipe.